Thursday, March 3, 2011

Last time Rob went through cancer I didn't talk about it much and I feel looking back that I should have written more it may have helped me. I feel I have to be so many people. I have so many jobs. I am a wife to the best man in the whole world, he is strong and understanding, I love him and he is my best friend. I am a mom to two wonderful children, they are really smart and make me smile. I am a Big Sister to Garth, he has so much energy just bubbling, he is a great person and will do great things with his life, he lives with us now. I am a school bus driver, and I am a home maker. I have to do all these jobs in one day, and each job requires me to be a little different.
I am just having a hard time today. It is a little hard to get out what I am feeling. The process that was explained to us so far was Rob will have to take shots that will increase his stem cells which are found in your bone marrow, the shots will overload the bone marrow and cause it to put the stem cells into his blood, at which point they will collect them and freeze them. He will be hooked up to a machine while they cycle his blood to extract the stem cells. Then he will get a high dose of chemotherapy that will destroy the cells including his bone marrow, he will be hospitalized during this time. Then they will give him his stem cells back and they will repair the bone marrow and things should return back to normal. He will have to be immunized for measles and mumps because the chemo will likely have erased his cells to be able to fight it off. After he returns from the hospital it is unlikely he will be able to return to work full time for 6 months. He fought the odds last time and worked through the whole treatment. There are a lot of other side affects as well. He will not be able to eat out unless he is super careful, for instance going to a fast food restaurant he will have to order a burger with just a bun and ask for individual condiments on the side. He cannot have the lettuce onion or tomato on his burger because they may not have been washed properly. He can't have steak medium rare like he likes it, it will have to be fully cooked. Those are just a few of the things.
I want to keep my job because it offers distraction but if they can't give me the time off that I need which I understand if they can't I will have to quit.
On top of all of that the amount that we will have to pay for this is crazy we have coverage but it only covers 80%.
I just want to close my eyes till this is all done.

2 comments:

Amy St. Pierre said...

Aw, Victoria, I am truly sorry this happening-I am praying for you all, especially that God will ease the stress and pressure you personally are going through-I luv u girl!

Will Pilon said...

I know we haven't been talking much lately but I want you guys to know I am praying for you Rob you are a great guy and you guys Truly deserve each other. Rob keep your head out i am here if either of you need to talk